There are several dancing techniques that use breathing to help the dancer move. An exercise I enjoy doing with a mover is the Decision Maker Dance. Here are the rules.
- When you breath into your lungs make a dance movement that goes up.
- When you breath out of your lungs make a dance movement that goes down.
Once you’ve practiced moving and breathing within the rules of the exercise; you’re ready for the next step.
- Consider your choices. How many are there? (You can have up to 7 choices for this exercise, but I recommend narrowing choices to two.)
- Assign one choice to movements that go up.
- Assign one choice to movements that go down.
- If you do need additional choices you can use what is called the Movement Scale. (Up, Down, Right, Left, Front, Back , and Diagonal)
- Allow yourself to make shapes in the space around you as you think or talk through your choices.
- Practice committing the movements to memory and select a song.
- Listen to the signals your body is giving you.
- Are you smiling with one choice?
- Are you coming back to one choice more often?
- Are you avoiding a direction?
Working through choices can be a challenge. This exercise will infuse some energy to the process. Enjoy.